BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

An Apology...

Someone very dear to me is gay. It took a lot of courage to come-out, and when she did, she met with quite a bit of resistance. She'd gone to counselors, three different ones, all of which told her it was perfectly alright to have these feelings, that there was nothing wrong with her. When she came-out to me, I was very supportive, told her that it didn't change anything, I still cared for her as much as I always had, but that she'd meet with resistance from certain sections of our society all her life. Unfortunate but true. Since, she's proudly told me about the woman she's dating (recently they've broken up), and sometimes she'll even cry on my shoulder. I'm intensely proud of her for what she's done. It was probably the reason for the knee-jerk reaction I had to the Brad Pitt story I posted in "Quoth the t-shirt..." Boy, was I ever wrong...

A friend who reads my blog, Julie, has set me straight on the facts about Brad Pitt's feelings toward marriage (thank you, Julie, I owe you). He supports it whole-heartedly. He donated $100,000 to the cause to fight the ban on gay marriage in California. At one point he and Angelina Jolie stated they would not marry until the ban on gay marriage was lifted, and that everyone was given equal rights. In other words, I owe Mr Pitt, Ms Jolie, and all of you an apology. I dropped the ball on this one, certainly. I really DID see the story on HLN (it may have actually been CNN), but I think I was so blinded by concern for my gay friend that I missed a word or two in the caption; I saw "Brad Pitt against gay marriage" instead of "Brad Pitt against BAN ON gay marriage." And instead of doing a little research first, I simply sat here at my keyboard and typed the post. It was wrong of me to do that, especially when I actually research such posts as the one on cigarette packs and the BP oil spill. Why did I believe that it wasn't necessary to investigate this further before ranting my big mouth off? I don't have an answer, or a good excuse, for that. I fucked up, friends. Hopefully it's the last time, but it probably won't be. Everyone errs, including those of us who claim to be right 99.999% of the time. But never let it be said that I won't be the first to admit when I'm wrong.

It would've been easy to simply remove the post (I think... I've never tried it), but I don't think that's fair. I shall leave it up, so that everyone who reads this will know where and when I fucked up, dropped the ball, laid the egg. I feel you have that right. If I'm going to bitch and scream about others, I have to be big enough to admit when I'm wrong. I'm not, after all, a politician.

In closing, I'd once again like to apologize to Mr Pitt and all of you who were mislead by my post. I still think it was a douche bag thing for Mr Pitt to accept a ride from the TMZ guys and not even thank them. But who's the bigger douche bag: the guy who's pompous and arrogant enough to accept a ride without thanks? Or the guy who blogs what boils down to a lie?

I shamefully raise my hand.

0 comments: